In an exclusive video interview with Insider, FBI special agent Johnathan Buma sheds light on a different narrative surrounding the FBI’s involvement with Trumpworld during the Trump and Biden years. Buma’s disclosures, made through legally sanctioned whistleblower channels within the FBI, challenge the prevailing accounts of the bureau’s actions, particularly in relation to figures like Rudy Giuliani and Hunter Biden.
Key Points from Buma’s Account:
- Alleged Negligence Regarding Giuliani’s Ties to Russian Intelligence: Buma asserts that his leads connecting Giuliani to Russian intelligence were not pursued by his FBI supervisors. He raised concerns about Giuliani’s potential compromise due to his firm’s financial ties with a Ukrainian oligarch linked to Moscow. Buma claims that crucial intelligence information was suppressed, and he was eventually prohibited from reporting on matters related to Trump and his associates.
- Hunter Biden-Burisma Narrative Predated Laptop Revelation: Contrary to claims that allegations against Hunter Biden and Burisma originated from his abandoned laptop, Buma contends that sources were discussing these matters with Department of Justice prosecutors as early as January 2019. This suggests a broader, pre-existing effort to inject these allegations into US politics, potentially originating from Ukraine.
- Geoffrey Berman’s Firing and Implications for Giuliani Investigations: Buma points out that an undercover operation related to Giuliani was abruptly terminated shortly before the dismissal of Geoffrey Berman, the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York. This raises questions about the timing of Berman’s removal and its potential impact on investigative efforts.
- Disputing Allegations of FBI Bias: Buma’s account contradicts allegations of political bias within the FBI. He highlights a dynamic where information about Hunter Biden was actively pursued, while investigations into Giuliani were halted. This underscores the diversity and decentralized nature of the FBI, cautioning against broad generalizations about the bureau.
- Challenges of Whistleblowing: Despite utilizing approved channels for whistleblowing, Buma claims to have faced retaliation within the FBI, which is prohibited by the Whistleblower Protection Act. He experienced a shift in assignments and believes he was discriminated against for revealing potentially damaging information. Buma declined a settlement offer and continues to stand by his disclosures.
Conclusion: Johnathan Buma’s insider perspective offers a fresh angle on the FBI’s involvement with Trumpworld, challenging prevailing narratives. His account emphasizes the complexity and diversity within the FBI, urging a nuanced understanding of the bureau’s actions during a politically charged era.